Shower Installations and Specialist Equipment

Walk-in Shower Installations  

Onchan District Commissioners support their residents to live as independently as possible in their homes.

However, there comes a time when some tenants require changes to their home to make them more accessible, for example by fitting grab rails or installing a walk in shower.

If you feel that you would benefit from an adaptation to your property, you should contact your own G.P. for a referral to the Occupational Therapy Unit who will carry out an independent assessment. 

You can also contact the Community Occupational Therapy Service yourself. Telephone:  (01624) 642511

Adaptations and Specialist Equipment

All requests for adaptations and specialist equipment, e.g. handrails, walk-in showers, have to be made through the Community Occupational Therapy Service.  

The Occupational Therapist will give you preliminary advice, and where appropriate, arrange to assess your needs.  

The Occupational Therapist will  make an assessment of your needs and, if appropriate, their recommendations will be sent to the Equipment and Adaptations Unit of the Department of Infrastructure’s Housing Division to see if you are eligible for financial assistance.  

You will be issued with a financial assessment form which is to be completed and returned to the Department of Infrastructure’s Housing Division.  

All applications for equipment and adaptations are subject to a financial assessment by the Department and you will be required to disclose relevant personal information, such as income and/or all accessible savings/assets that may be available to you.  

An assessment will be carried out to see if you need to make a contribution towards the cost of the works.


Finance for Equipment and Adaptations is controlled by the Department of Infrastructure’s Housing Division.   Those in greatest need are prioritised appropriately within the constraints of the available budget.

The supply of such equipment and adaptations and other assistance will only be provided where there is sufficient budget to do so. 

No consideration of equipment or an adaptation will be made without an Occupational Therapist’s report and recommendations.