Do you qualify for Older Persons Public Sector Housing?
As with general public sector housing, a common approach is used for acceptance on to a sheltered housing waiting list.
Criteria for acceptance on to waiting lists for older persons sheltered housing - approved by Tynwald - 15 March 2016
- Residential qualification: Applicant or spouse must have been ordinarily resident on the Island for a minimum of 10 years. Applicant(s) must be resident on the Island for at least 3 months immediately prior to allocation.
- Eligible Applicants(s): A single applicant, or one party in a joint applicant, must be aged 65 or over with no dependent children at the time of the application. Or a couple with one person aged 65 and over with no dependent children, the younger person must be at least 50 years of age.
- Adequacy of current housing: Inadequate accommodation, with written confirmation from Environmental Health, local authority or other relevant body.
- Health and welfare qualifications: The applicant must be capable of independent living (with an appropriate and continuing package of support where necessary).
- Financial qualifications: Maximum gross income of applicant(s) must not exceed the median income, currently £28,392 plus 10% for couples.
- Financial and/or property assets must not exceed the median house price (currently £245,000). (However, if you are over this threshold, we may still accept you onto the sheltered housing list depending on your circumstances, and with the understanding at the time of allocation you will be required to pay a higher rental.)
In order to apply for acceptance on to an older persons (sheltered) housing waiting list, or for any further advice in relation to sheltered housing, you should contact the relevant sheltered housing authority. This depends on the location of the sheltered property/complex you have in mind. A list of Authorities can be found on the Isle of Man Government website. For any Public Sector Sheltered Housing queries in the Onchan please contact:
The Housing Officer, Onchan District Commissioners, Hawthorn Villa, 79 Main Road, Onchan, Isle of Man IM3 1RD.
Telephone: +44 1624 675564 or e-mail: email@example.com
If your personal circumstances change, or in cases of particular need, sheltered housing may be allocated to individuals who do not meet the above criteria as there is an exceptions policy which we can provide further details on request.
If in doubt, please ring and speak to the Housing Officer.