Onchan District Commissioners are aware that there may be some confusion regarding the functions currently undertaken by the Local Authority as a result of the transfer of services from central government.
The Commissioners would like to clarify that the following are the only services which have been taken on with the appropriate standards:-
- Street Sweeping
- As far as reasonably practicable, at all times highways should be kept clear of material that may endanger users of the highway, or affect the highway drainage;
- Gully Emptying
- Gullies should be running at all times. If the gully pot (the drain below the grid) is empty, and any blockage cannot be cleared, this should be reported to the Department of Infrastructure which will arrange to clear the blockage at its cost;
- Removal of Weeds
- Weeds which may obstruct drainage, or are damaging or likely to damage the fabric of the highway should be removed as soon as reasonably practicable; and
- Maintenance of Highway Verges
- Vegetation should not be allowed to grow to the extent so as to hinder the reasonable use of the highway by any person entitled to the use thereof, or so as to be a nuisance or injurious to the owner or occupier of premises adjacent to the highway.
For additional clarity, if you have a problem concern the road surface you are urged to report the problem via the Department of Infrastructure Website located at http://www.reportaproblem.im/
You will be issued with a job number and this is the reference that you can use to chase the Department for a response to your enquiry.