Rent Payments Overview

To make sure your rent account runs smoothly, you should:

  • pay your rent when it is due;
  • let us know if you go away for any length of time;
  • contact us immediately if you have a problem paying your rent; and
  • tell the housing officer about any changes in circumstances which may affect the amount of rent you pay, for example, new lodgers

To prevent problems and for information on how to act if you encounter financial difficulties, please see the page on Problems Paying Rent and Debt(s).

How rent is set and who sets it

Your rental charge is made up of a rent element and a rate element. The rent is set on a points system which takes into account such things as the size of your property and number of bedrooms.

Your rent is increased annually every April. The percentage that it will increase by is set by Central Government.

Onchan District Commissioners sets the local rate for the district and this is combined with the government water rates to give the amount payable.

Knowing what you will pay

When you sign up to your tenancy we tell you how much the rent will be and how much you should pay.

How to pay your rent

You must pay your rent and any other charges on time. Your rent is payable weekly in advance on Mondays, but you may be able to pay by agreement with Onchan District Commissioners, either weekly, fortnightly or monthly if you prefer as long as your account is paid in advance. You can pay your rent in a number of different ways, for example:

  • Direct from your bank or building society account by Direct Debit. When you sign a Direct Debit mandate this allows the amount taken from your bank account to be adjusted automatically (after we have written to tell you) when your rent increases or decreases. It is important to make sure that there is always enough money in your account when the payment is due otherwise your bank will refuse to pay the Direct Debit and will usually charge you for the failed payment. If the payment is not made as arranged, your rent account will be in arrears and you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement. Please see the page on the Standard Tenancy Agreement for further explanation. If you would like to pay your rent by Direct Debit you can contact the Finance Office and they will work out your payments, and forward you the Direct Debit form for completion and return.
  • Paying rent by post - Never send cash through the post. You should send a cheque or postal order. As above, please make sure that you have sufficient money in your account to cover the cheque as Onchan District Commissioners reserves the right to refuse to accept cheque payments from tenants where previous cheques have bounced.
  • Paying your rent direct from the Department of Social Care – If you are on Income Support or other benefits, you may be able to pay your rent directly from your benefit. Contact the Finance Office [Tel: (01624) 675564] or the Department of Social Care [Tel: (01624) 685094] for advice on this method of payment.
  • Paying your rent by debit card – Please contact the Finance Office, Telephone: (01624)  675564.

Rent card

You can receive a copy of the payments on your rent card upon request. Your till receipt will show your weekly rent due, amount paid and current balance after every payment. 

Problems with payment

For information on how to deal with problems paying your rent, please go to the page on problems paying rent and debt(s). Remember to contact the Finance Office as soon as possible to help organise your payments. Telephone: (01624) 675564 or email: